MX5 PartsAK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksRomford MazdaAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on TrackSky Insurance

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Does A Mk2 6 Speed Have Turret Oil??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Miata

Mr Miata

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm a bit concerned. I went to change my turret oil in my mk2 RS this afternoon after reading that the boots split (which mine were!) and the oil disappears (which mine had!) So I changed the boots and cleaned everything and went to fill the turret oil. Put 1L in with no sign of the level rising. Added another 1L and still no level. Suspecting something wasn't right at this stage, I googled it to find it should only take a small amount to fill it!

So...WHERE DID THAT 2L OF OIL GO??? I'm hoping NOT into the transmission??
Simon.

Prestige Garage Doors www.prestigegaragedoors.co.uk

We're a small family run company offering excellent products and service with a genuine 10% discount for Nutz members!

#2 Law!

Law!

ターボパワー

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

6 speed does not have turret oil. It goes straight into the gearbox. So you may have overfill your box by adding a 2 ltr to it.

14017798615_8000242a92_o.jpg

LAWRENCE.jpgmiatacore.jpgmiata.jpg

Greddy TD04H @ 16PSI - MSPnP - MTX-L - F1 Stage 3 1.8 + F1 Lighten Flywheel - MeisterR - 6 Speed - Intercooler - COPs - Greddy BOV & EBC - 3" System -EV14 650cc - Coolant Reroute - 16ROW Mocal Oil Cooler - Wilwood Dynalite - Rota K7 225/45/15 R888 - SuperPro Bushes - UltraRacing ARBs - CrapEngineering Tubular Subframe - RoseJoint Droplinks - MX5Dans Large Intercooler 

#3 Mr Miata

Mr Miata

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Bugger, bugger, bugger!!! It's actually overfilled by 2L! I've just had to drive it 8 miles too. Kept it at low RPM, hopefully I've not done any damage!
Simon.

We're a small family run company offering excellent products and service with a genuine 10% discount for Nutz members!

#4 Mr Slow

Mr Slow

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,272 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yep you now have 4 litres in the box rather than 2

#5 MickAP

MickAP

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Oh err, at least you've found the easy way of filling the gearbox on the 6 speed :yes:

Just do the same as you have done and fill with 2ltr through the turret after you have drained the box. Remove only the drain plug shown here http://www.miata.net...s05_112_02.html

Removing the wrong plug ie not the fill plug can bring problems, so don't remove the plug shown in the upper diagram. 

If you want to use the fill plug instead of filling through the turret it is on the same side as the drain plug LH side of the box, as in the lower diagram.

ce50fd9a-0c41-42c6-b717-b7bd17a0d472_zps

Mk3 True Red Sport.  RS 6 speed in Racing Bronze (now sold)

#6 capt doufos

capt doufos

Made a start

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Yes make sure you get the right plug, get the wrong and you will need the gearbox rebuilt.

#7 MattShiz

MattShiz

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

I wish you could fill up the 5 speed from the turret.

Easy enough to get the oil out of a 5 speed, had to rip the centre console thing out of mine and take a few trips to B&Q to get it back in again. 

#8 Mr Miata

Mr Miata

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Yea, I know which plugs I need to head for! Ironically....I changed the gearbox oil before doing the 'turret oil'. Trouble is, I used different grades so tomorrow ill be draining the gearbox, ditching the oil and refilling with fresh!!

Feel like a right noob, but in my defence, there was nothing on the how tos I'd read saying that the 6 speed doesn't have turret oil!!
Simon.

#9 MickAP

MickAP

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Easy enough to get the oil out of a 5 speed, had to rip the centre console thing out of mine and take a few trips to B&Q to get it back in again. 

Short piece of hosepipe threaded down to the fill plug from the engine bay, attach funnel and pour away. When it drips from the fill plug your done. 

#10 Mr Slow

Mr Slow

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,272 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Short piece of hosepipe threaded down to the fill plug from the engine bay, attach funnel and pour away. When it drips from the fill plug your done.

^^ this

#11 iti_uk

iti_uk

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Yea, I know which plugs I need to head for! Ironically....I changed the gearbox oil before doing the 'turret oil'. Trouble is, I used different grades so tomorrow ill be draining the gearbox, ditching the oil and refilling with fresh!!

Feel like a right noob, but in my defence, there was nothing on the how tos I'd read saying that the 6 speed doesn't have turret oil!!

You live and learn ;)

For reference, here's a link to the 6-spd gearbox service manual.

http://download.hype...p?code=4cd9cd8b

Chris

203656.png

#12 Mr Miata

Mr Miata

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Forgot to update this.

On Tuesday I drained the box...all 4L of it!!!! Refilled with Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w 90 fully syn. With that and the new shift boots, my god what a difference! Like a new box!

For reference, all you 6 speed owners, when it comes to tranny oil change, do yourselves a favour and fill through the turret!! Much easier to just whip out the centre console than fanny around trying to get pumps / pipes into the fill hole!!
Simon.

#13 robinm

robinm

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I liked that oil in a six speed.. sorted the cold 1st to 2nd change out a treat, easy to get hold of and cheap enough too.

Flushing gearbox oil, that's a first  :D

#14 Mr Miata

Mr Miata

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yea, I was going to go for Redline MT90 but at £50 I thought I'd opt for the Castrol at £18! Really can't see the MT90 being any better either TBH!
Simon.

#15 MickAP

MickAP

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Yea, I was going to go for Redline MT90 but at £50 I thought I'd opt for the Castrol at £18! Really can't see the MT90 being any better either TBH!

Don't know where you're getting your oil from?

The Redline I looked that up recently and earmarked it for my 6 speed here http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=370847358867

#16 Mr Miata

Mr Miata

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Don't know where you're getting your oil from?

The Redline I looked that up recently and earmarked it for my 6 speed here http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=370847358867

You'll need 3 bottles of Redline as 2 won't quite fill so 3 x £16.56 = £49.68. I got my Castrol through a mate that has a garage at £9 per L x 2 = £18!

MT90 was recommended by Opie but I'm so impressed by the Castrol, I really can't see the MT90 being any better.
Simon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users