AK AutomotiveRoddisons MotorsportOpie OilsMX5Nutz ShopDriftworks.comSportDriveGSM PerformanceArdler AutomotiveJJC Race and RallyJap StyleJass PerformanceAbsolutely ShocksAdvertise on MX5NutzRacing Beat EuropeMazda on TrackSky InsuranceMX5 Parts

These ads only show for users who are not registered or logged in

Photo

Both Front Tyres Losing Pressure But No Puncture

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jimgreen83

jimgreen83

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2387 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

I had my front tyres changed to toyos last summer and ever since then they lose pressure, the time varies as does the amount of pressure that is lost. I took them to a tyre place last summer and they checked them and couldn't find a leak and reckoned it was just the alloys. The thing is that it didn't do this with the old tyres on? Its got to the point where I am topping up my tyres every 2 days to keep them close to 26psi. Any advice about how to cure this problem?

#2 Dave

Dave

The only " Dave in the village"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4319 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

I had my front tyres changed to toyos last summer and ever since then they lose pressure, the time varies as does the amount of pressure that is lost. I took them to a tyre place last summer and they checked them and couldn't find a leak and reckoned it was just the alloys. The thing is that it didn't do this with the old tyres on? Its got to the point where I am topping up my tyres every 2 days to keep them close to 26psi. Any advice about how to cure this problem?

Take off the offending wheels inflate them to 26 psi ,lay the wheel on the ground and put some water/washing up liquid between tyre bead and wheel rim and see if you get bubbles,try this around the valve too,that's all I can sugest really Jim.

MK1Eunos Roadster  Black V - Spec 1.6 SOLD
MK1Eunos Roadster  VR- Limited  B 1.8  Gaz, FM ARB's, Boss Frog double hoop roll bar, bbk ,  MS P&P ECU, MP62 SC 199  @ the fly  SOLD
MKI White UK SPEC 1.6 SOLD
Mk1 White UK Spec 1.8  JRCAI, JR Exhaust, Fujitsobo 4-2-1 manufold, koni sport springs & adjustable dampers, BBK. Current daily driver

#3 jimgreen83

jimgreen83

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2387 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

Cheers dave, thats basically what the garage did but found no bubbles so must be leaking slowly. After removing and refitting the wheels last friday, the pressure put on the tyre undoing and tightening the nuts made quite a large pressure drop. Its not a big deal in the fact that it can be remedied by going to the petrol station and refilling them, its just a bit of a hassle every 2 days.

#4 benGT

benGT

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

I had the same problem on an old car of mine.
I was forced to fill up with air at least twice a week even though there was nothing wrong with the tyres.

It was sorted in the end by taking to a garage who removed the tyre and thoroughly wire brushed the inside of the wheel lip (to rough it up a bit I guess) and then put the tyre back on whilst sealing it with some white paste stuff.

Had to do this twice before the deflating stopped......

#5 jimgreen83

jimgreen83

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2387 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

I was forced to fill up with air at least twice a week even though there was nothing wrong with the tyres.

It was sorted in the end by taking to a garage who removed the tyre and thoroughly wire brushed the inside of the wheel lip (to rough it up a bit I guess) and then put the tyre back on whilst sealing it with some white paste stuff.

Cool, I'll give that a try.

#6 skinny

skinny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8875 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

i've got the same on my rear right, really annoying :(

just trying to wear them down so i can justify changing over the whole set, and just hope it doesn't leak next time around! :rolleyes:

#7 DrifterWanaB

DrifterWanaB

A.K.A KIRKY R33

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

How about bunging some of that liquid tyre, puncture pepair stuff in. that should seal up any rim leaks?
Now owner off the Black Barge
Iam So JDM, Even my Microwaves Remapped!

#8 Martin...

Martin...

Very European!

• Members
  • 5768 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

Sounds like the tyre bead may not be seated in correctly...

Had a similar problem on my Vitara, losing pressure but no puncture, had the lads at the garage me mam works at take it off and re seat it... been fine ever since...
2006 EP3 Premier

2010 Kawasaki Z750

#9 friendly1_uk

friendly1_uk

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • 7901 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

very few fitters do it propperly, even if they know its a problem car.

There is a sealant used. ever seen it? no, i didn't think so. Its the afore meansioned stuff that used to be 100% needed before self sealing tyres were the norm. Even with self sealing stuff (in all industrys) its usually good practice to use sealant though. Many wheels need this treatment, esspecially if they stove your wheel on the machine. Few can be bothered to mix it up though, they would rather just tell you its time for new alloys. They will even argue its not needed with modern tyres, while looking at one going down in front of them.

Dont take excuses, find a fitter that has a pot of the stuff made up on his machine. easy recognised by a paintbrush sticking out of it.
89 greddy. fmic. emb. Lc-1. rmdp. Silenced de-cat. FM duels. FM bars. FM rails. 1.8 Brakes. Torsen LSD. Rokkor Mk2 coilovers. Weapon style bar. White wheels, White car, Black Hardtop.

#10 EdCase

EdCase

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3474 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

get them to take the tyres off clean the beeds of the wheels and the tyres and change the valves
some time the beeds leek only under the weight of the car, tyres sometimes have little rubber bits left over from the mouldings on the beedings or the valves leek when the wheels go round ...

good luck

michael
Mk1 91 1600 AUTO Converted, JRSC M45, MSpnp, Manual Cams, Crank Scraper, Leather this and that, loadsa bling and blue under the hood.

to be fitted water injection / smaller charger pulley..150 overlay
2 work equip 03 rims waiting for the other 2

#11 slowpoke

slowpoke

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

my sister's got exactly the same on her mk2 - she's had a couple fixed, but the other 2 do the same
Damson S14a, with extra bits :wub:

#12 punchdrunk

punchdrunk

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

very few fitters do it propperly, even if they know its a problem car.

There is a sealant used. ever seen it? no, i didn't think so. Its the afore meansioned stuff that used to be 100% needed before self sealing tyres were the norm. Even with self sealing stuff (in all industrys) its usually good practice to use sealant though. Many wheels need this treatment, esspecially if they stove your wheel on the machine. Few can be bothered to mix it up though, they would rather just tell you its time for new alloys. They will even argue its not needed with modern tyres, while looking at one going down in front of them.

Dont take excuses, find a fitter that has a pot of the stuff made up on his machine. easy recognised by a paintbrush sticking out of it.

This is the cure - You're better off going back to the tyre fitter that fitted the tyres and ask them to reseal the offending wheels
Posted Image

1990 1.6 Greddy Turbo (1 bar) - <b>Sold</b>
Now Honda S2000 AP1

#13 li'lwitch

li'lwitch

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2704 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

I have the same problem with all 4 of my wheels. The tyres are not the best but they're in great condition with at least 12 months life in them. I have had them cleaned and bead sealing done on them all but they still deflate which i've been advised is due to the fact that the alloys are corroding on the inside, therefore i need new alloys. :rolleyes:

Witchybollox FTW!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users