66 replies to this topic

#61 R55Thrillhouse

R55Thrillhouse

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Had the car for less than a week and already had 4/5 different cars tailgating me.

I am going the speed limit, never got that in my other cars, Laguna and MINI :driving:

Must be the old man chrome rack on the back :dance:

#62 Martin Y

Martin Y

Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Had the car for less than a week and already had 4/5 different cars tailgating me.

I am going the speed limit, never got that in my other cars, Laguna and MINI :driving:

Must be the old man chrome rack on the back :dance:

It's the effect of having a low car that other drivers can see over.  They're not doing it deliberately.  They're not even thinking about it.  They just drifting up close to you, subconsciously reacting to the space in front of you.

#63 colin565

colin565

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

As said, if it gets to you, just pull off at the next motorway station or junction, and come back on to the motorway at a later time.

Worst cold sweat incident I had trying to overtake a police car doing 60 MPH in the inside lane, and I moved into the middle lane, speed up, and he speeded up deliberately to 70 MPH when we were alongside each other.

It took me nearly 3 miles to get by him at 72 MPH, must have been laughing their heads off, catching me out like that.

Been wary of overtaking police cars ever since.

#64 wannabe

wannabe

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

As said, if it gets to you, just pull off at the next motorway station or junction, and come back on to the motorway at a later time.

Worst cold sweat incident I had trying to overtake a police car doing 60 MPH in the inside lane, and I moved into the middle lane, speed up, and he speeded up deliberately to 70 MPH when we were alongside each other.

It took me nearly 3 miles to get by him at 72 MPH, must have been laughing their heads off, catching me out like that.

Been wary of overtaking police cars ever since.

That is poor driving - a well trained driver knows that travelling alongside another vehicle, especially for extended periods of time, increases the risk of collisions - after all, if you have to swerve to avoid something in/entering the carriageway, they are going to be in your swerving space. (We should all avoid travelling next to other vehicles when possible, especially lorries - the number of people I see driving 5 feet from the back of an overtaking artic and a similar distance from the artic in Lane 1 is scary, where exactly do they have to escape to if something goes wrong?? We should hang back behind the end of the lorry or other slow vehicle being overtaken and wait for the overtaking vehicle to pull in or clear the front of the vehicle being overtaken, then accelerate past the slow vehicle(s).)

ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) guidelines have always allowed 10% + 2mph leeway, to take account of speedo error etc, which technically means you should be fine doing up to 79mph. AFAIK they haven't changed recently, but anything's possible with the current obsession with enforcing what is easy rather than what actually matters... [/cynic]

I tend to go by at anything up to 80 on the clock (assuming we're talking about Dual Carriageways with 2+ lanes or a motorway, of course :lol: ), and so far only had one incident where they took exception - that was a 4-up panda car where clearly the driver had some sort of power-trip complex and wanted to show his colleagues in the back who was the boss man :rolleyes: That said, I did get stuck with a police riot van doing 80mph for quite a long distance the other week - I eventually crept away and stopped for a fluids in/out break about 20 minutes later, at which point they pulled into the car park as I was getting ready to leave. They were several counties out of their 'jurisdiction' so I think they were just trying to get home lol

I understand that police driver trainers teach that they should travel at either 60mph or faster than 70mph, in order to allow a good number of cars to pass them or be passed and be observed - after all, if they're doing 70mph then so will everyone else near them be doing 70mph, because most think the 70mph limit is ultra-strict. That means that the police car in question ends up travelling in a 'bubble' of the same cars constantly, reducing the opportunity to catch potential offenders. Traffic plod are generally pretty good at doing this IME, it's the panda cars that seem to be the ones driven by power-trippers trying to catch you out.

#65 Mudo

Mudo

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

'the number of people I see driving 5 feet from the back of an overtaking artic and a similar distance from the artic in Lane 1 is scary, where exactly do they have to escape to if something goes wrong?'

I call that 'coffin driving' as all it takes is the smallest thing to go wrong and bang, on goes the lid.

I don't mind the old Romanians or the old Bulgarians, but the Old Etonians are a different matter entirely

#66 colin565

colin565

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:05 PM

Talking about lorries above, reminds me of when coming up to a roundabout to allow the lorry to go ahead on the roundabout in case it takes up two lanes. As I do not want to be sideswiped.

I have always held back, but notice nowadays you get the occasional driver behind pumping their horn at me as I held them up for a few seconds. Grrh!

#67 carldp1989

carldp1989

One post wonder

• New Members +
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

For me it seems to be the opposite.

I seem to get tailgated a lot less than in my old clio. Though when it does happen they seem to like to get closer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users