Fitting Retro Mirrors - Step By Step

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tappet Magic

Tappet Magic
  • New Members +
  • -74 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Just bought some retro style mirrors so thought i would do a little step by step for you all  :banana:

TOOLS:

•  

• Flat head screw driver

• Phillips screw driver (attached to wrench if possible) 

• Gaffer tape

• Drill & Steel cutting drill bits largest being the size of the nut ( only needed if your mirrors were not electric like mine. )

• Round Metal File

Step 1:

Remove OEM mirrors, really simple, pop off the base cover with the flat head screw driver, use a cloth underneath in case you slip. 

IMG_2006_zpsh5bgezih.jpg

You will find 2 screws, ideally undo these with a screw driver wrench as they can be sticky and less chance to round the head the better. 

Step 2:

Once they are out the mirror will come straight off ( unless electric which will need the plug disconnecting )

My doors have a small hole, this will need to be drilled, take you time and make the hole large enough for the bolt nut to go through. Mark out and place the Gaffer tape around the drilling area in case you slip, we don't want you having to repaint your door!! Once drilled, paint the exposed metal to stop from rusting. 

IMG_2008_zpszb2olr7e.jpg

IMG_2009_zpsfett6wfs.jpg

IMG_2010_zpshhnhkxtp.jpg

Step 3: 

Test fit the mirror until you are happy, filling away any excess metal you need as you go. I didn't get any stainless screws with my kit as it was used but I'm going to paint mine satin black at some point.

IMG_2011_zpsmogx83du.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsjtr5k2yv.jpg

Step 4: 

My mirrors are a little fiddly, i have to set the up right then tighen down the nut then fit them. There are different models out there but again, just have patience, do it right do it once!

Hope you enjoyed my little step by step, see what you prefer below.  :thumb-up2:  

IMG_2014_zpsehxdbs1b.jpg

IMG_2015_zps7ip8yj7b.jpg

OEM VS BULLET MIRROR

IMG_2019_zpsp6qrz6wp.jpg

#2 ts@n@k@s

ts@n@k@s

Made a start

• New Members +
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

How `s the visibility with these?

#3 mcphaze

mcphaze

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

I have the same mirrors but in black with convex glass. With convex glass they are fine for b road blasts when you are checking around you occasionally. I think they'd be a pain for regular motorway driving with the roof up. Flat glass must be appalling.

Moss sell these for quite a lot but I realised that all they seem to have done is bought the mirrors from one source, added mirror mounts from Jass and a healthy profit margin!

#4 Tappet Magic

Tappet Magic
  • New Members +
  • -74 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

I find these fine for normal road driving, track days might want to swap back to OEM ones. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users