21 replies to this topic

#1 nibnob21

nibnob21

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

Cleared out the garage today in preparation for painting the floor and I may replace my workbench and shelving while I'm at it - undecided right now.

I've just got a wobbly old metal workbench and a wooden stack of shelves that do the job but are a bit past it and not very pretty.

Total space to fill has a footprint of approximately 2.75m x 1m.

Inspire me...

#2 MickAP

MickAP

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

I would be embarrassed to show you mine.

Need a similar revamp of my garage including floor paint, recently it's been used as a woodworking area, been fitting a kitchen.

Now needs gutting and stuff clearing out but as ever it's a job that keeps being put at the back of the queue.

ce50fd9a-0c41-42c6-b717-b7bd17a0d472_zps

Mk3 True Red Sport.  RS 6 speed in Racing Bronze (now sold)

#3 friendly1_uk

friendly1_uk

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,607 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:49 AM

I got my racking from these guys http://www.g-rack.co.uk/

I have the 265kg stuff in red. Though it's cheaper in black, I live and work in the same space. I built them 4 shelves high, and they sold me extra uprights for the spares that produces. I would get a wooden bench from elsewhere though, and I top mine with serving mats. Large floppy one's in bright colours. Good for aesthetics and keeping oil and solder off the wood. Or just your sandwiches :) Small assemblies can be scooped up and put on a shelf while bits arrive, making room for the next job. A bit like project trays. Without the lip. It's important to be able to put half finished jobs on the side if you have a few tasks at hand. So some sort of tray and shelf based system might be just what you need to work out. 

I have had metal benches. Only stainless was any good, and that was in a medical capacity. Rust and flaky damaged paint on cold noisy surfaces doesn't appeal.

89 Greddy. FMIC. EMB. LC-1. Gauge linearisation. Walbro+Relay. Racing Mazda ceramic downpipe with split mod. Silenced de-cat. FM duels. FM adjustable roll bars. FM rails. HD engine mounts. 1.8 Brakes with m/c brace. Later gearbox. Torsen LSD. Rokkor Mk2 coilovers. Weapon style bar. White wheels, White car, Black Hardtop. Sunglasses holder, footwell lights.

#4 randomfactor

randomfactor

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

I got some shelving from Key http://www.key.co.uk...-steel-shelving
There's £50 off your first order via a pop up offer on their website.
It's not as robust as racking but fine for garage shelvin duties. I'd be tempted to go for one of the heavier options for a work bench though.
You could top a low racking unit with some cheap kitchen worktop for a clean and solid space.

My Mk1 build thread: http://www.mx5nutz.c...opic=253097&hl= (now sold)

My Mk2 build thread: http://www.mx5nutz.c...howtopic=263802

#5 R3k1355

R3k1355

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Cheap kitchen units are the way forward, along with some cheap worktop.

Very simple to install, gives loads of storage space and looks pretty tidy when it's all done.

#6 bettabuilda

bettabuilda

Spends way too much time on Nutz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

I would be embarrassed to show you mine.

Need a similar revamp of my garage including floor paint, recently it's been used as a woodworking area, been fitting a kitchen.

Now needs gutting and stuff clearing out but as ever it's a job that keeps being put at the back of the queue.

:) I'm in the same camp as Mick! Just put the hardtop back on the car which was blocking the workbench on its trolley. As my garage is built into the house and quite small, it's a pain actually working on the car in the garage apart from under bonnet stuff really :(

Kitchen units ( as R3k1355 says) are the way to go without a doubt though, my vice is mounted to the worktop which extends across the back wall, I even have a tall upright " beer" fridge along that run :) I have cupboards above as well for smaller stuff and the roll cab fits under the worktop. Cheap and easy to install +1 for kitchen units!

Barrie
MK3 in TRUE RED 1.8 roadster + option pack
MK1 Classic red 1.6 Eunos standard trim nothing to report! :) now gone!
2nd place at MX5 OC Spring Rally in modified MK1 section 1.6 Mk1 Eunos 1991 JRSC in classic red. Now gone!

#7 D2VOO

D2VOO

Getting there

• New Members +
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

B2D50F16-D6A3-475F-8827-8CC2030D13D1.jpg

This was mine before I replaced the bike with the mx5.

#8 Mark.T

Mark.T

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

This was my old one:

IMAG0930_zpsp1lync0l.jpg

Concrete block pillars holding a kitchen worktop.  Very solid for heavy work. Two more worktops underneath with boxes of stuff - different box for different 'stuff'. Beer fridge.

Apart from the boxes, free.

I intend to make my own work surfaces for the new garage from second hand wood/pallets.

DSCF5706_sig_zps7355a269.jpg

'96 S Special II

Meister R, AutoExe, Freaky Parts, TR Lane, Top Gaiters, Yokohama/Toyo, Jass Performance, ToyoSport, Zoom, Flock Shop, R Pack,

EBC, Carbing, PiperX, Momo, Universal IC, JVC, Genesis, Revlimter + my own custom bits

#9 nb_racing

nb_racing

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

I made my workbenches myself. They are 2"x4" treated timbers for the top and 6 legs, 1"x2" for bracing and for the frame that my tool boxes are screwed to and for shelves.

The tops are 16mm marine ply doubled up to 32mm,  glued and screwed. Got some cheap edging trim to cover the front edge, and 2nd hand matting from my old work for the top.

I used plastic general building packers for feet and to level them up so they don't rock, and to keep damp off even though it's treated timber. Also screwed them to the wall.

I made 2x 2m benches as my garage is 4m wide. Got tool boxes and compressor in one side and storage in the other. Screwed the benches together but they are constructed separately so I can easily take them with me when I move house. They are absolutely solid as a rock! Cost me about £260 for the materials and 2 weekends to build. (With a day of planning and drawing them up!)

I did look at buying something but wanted the flexibility of fitting toolboxes etc so for the same money got all the materials as buying ready made benches off eBay.

9jni1z.jpg

214auqh.jpg

2j3l7qv.jpg

#10 zoona

zoona

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

I still have what was there when I moved in. Needs to be upgraded... it is all a bit wobbly.

The wall on the other side of the car is all old kitchen units which is useful.

Watching with interest what you do.

https://goo.gl/photo...fDdpM1ctjiKN81A

This makes it look like there is a lot of room between the car and the bench, and there isn't quite that much.

#11 nb_racing

nb_racing

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

Kitchen worktops can be fine for the short term, however, unless you have a properly sealed, dry and heated garage like your house is, chipboard worktops will eventually suffer moisture ingress and fall apart. This can be largely prevented by coating any exposed areas and the underside in water proof PVA to seal them up.

#12 nb_racing

nb_racing

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

This was my old one:

IMAG0930_zpsp1lync0l.jpg

Concrete block pillars holding a kitchen worktop.  Very solid for heavy work. Two more worktops underneath with boxes of stuff - different box for different 'stuff'. Beer fridge.

Apart from the boxes, free.

I intend to make my own work surfaces for the new garage from second hand wood/pallets.

Love the seat! Is it on castors? I want to do the same with my old drivers seat!

#13 Ecosse

Ecosse

Ecosse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

Won't set petrolheads' pulses racing, but I've just got my Waiting for God retirement Man Cave sorted the way I want.

It's more a general hobby & fettling, and "please fix this" from SWMBO hut, 10'x 8'.

The bench was free from a friendly joiner who was taking it to the tip anyway.

The dark slab is solid granite from a monumental business for those heavy jobs. £15.00. :rolleyes: 

The Bisley cabinets, and everything else including the carpet and folding table came out of the loft.

I never chuck much out..you just never know. ;)

Basically, it cost nothing but a wee £3.00 vice from a car boot to fit out..apart from the hut itself and the cement base.

The mantra is....One man's scrap is another's vision.

f1240253-0822-4cc8-9392-cd68582b7f2f_zps

DSCF6074_zps21caaygm.jpg

DSCF6072_zpsxe4zjetj.jpg

DSCF6071_zpsnqfyykzr.jpg

Beware the imbecile you did not bargain for. Perhaps in a Zafira  at Tesco waiting to self combust.

#14 Mark.T

Mark.T

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Car boot sales - good call.  There are a couple of things that I could do with that could well be found at such a place ... however, I'd probably spend so much more on stuff I didn't need that I might as well buy new ;)

'96 S Special II

Meister R, AutoExe, Freaky Parts, TR Lane, Top Gaiters, Yokohama/Toyo, Jass Performance, ToyoSport, Zoom, Flock Shop, R Pack,

EBC, Carbing, PiperX, Momo, Universal IC, JVC, Genesis, Revlimter + my own custom bits

#15 Mark.T

Mark.T

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

This was my old one:

<pic of seat>

Love the seat! Is it on castors? I want to do the same with my old drivers seat!

I happened to have a piece of wood on castors (as you do), so bolted the seat to it :)  It's been at a friends house since the old garage went, but it returns tomorrow night and go in the new garage ... I might even find a better piece of wood for it :D

'96 S Special II

#16 mat s

mat s

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

Here's mine I knocked up. Built from reclaimed timber 3x3 with halving joints. I bought the timber off a seller on gumtree for £15. Need to fit kitchen worktop I also have. Using pallet wood for the middle shelf. Can't really complain £15 for a 2m long workbench.

IMG_20160325_174619_zpsuwpuowrk.jpg

#17 myothercarsa2cv

myothercarsa2cv

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

Here's mine. My Dad and I knocked it up using some timber that came out my old place. 6x2 and 4x2 everything, including worktop! Little bit heavy duty and took a few of us to move it when we moved house, glad it fitted! Red units were freebies from bro-in-law. Sadly is a bit messier now than it was after a mad month of tinkering!

4840f2ca594a0517d199eff80f79c82f.png

19558235754_3e711965fc_q.jpg '94 Eunos Roadster 1.8 Supercharged

Follow me on Instagram: @moca2cv

#18 Mark.T

Mark.T

Advanced Nutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

Nice work :)

'96 S Special II

#19 The_Angry_Saxon

The_Angry_Saxon

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Here's me making a mad splitter for my car at my workbench.

nnkw9f.jpg

#20 willeywilson

willeywilson

Nutz regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

65d17ee35373ca8030959d1e96ebc1bb.jpg

2.4m made fro. Cheap 2x4 and some gravel board from wicked.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users